Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Where I take stock, a year into the job

When I started this job, one week short of a year ago, I came into a role that had just been created, because a need was felt for a focus on the area I would be responsible for. In the year since, I've felt extremely frustrated at how little progress I feel I've made, simply because this role is like that - there's very little data available, the key stakeholders who need to do stuff to start providing data aren't willing to do anything, and a variety of reasons that I can only be vague about, and therefore will not talk about.

The manager who hired me tells me I've contributed a fair amount, even if I don't feel that way, because there was literally nothing when I came on board, and I've managed to create some dashboards and build some visibility for my area. I'm not sure the manager I'm now under sees things the same way, since he wasn't around when there really was nothing, and so I'm not sure he sees the value of my role the way the previous manager does.

I'm moving into a new role in the next couple of weeks. I knew I wasn't going to grow much in this role, and I wanted to try other things, and so I went and networked and interviewed and got another job. Same company, entirely different group and role. So I'm in that weird transition phase where I'm doing my old job, but also beginning to have meetings for the new job; learning what my new job will be, and also put together transition documents for whoever replaces me.

I was chatting with my current manager this morning, and among other things, we talked about the transition. My current team has someone new joining in a couple of weeks, so I asked if she would be taking over my role. Her response left me more than a little stunned.
I'm not sure, to be honest. Your role is so vague and ambiguous, and there's so little to work with - I'm not sure I want that to be the first impression a new employee gets. 
Given that things are actually much better now than they were when I joined, wtf do you think I went through? And is this actually something to be taken into consideration when you assign roles and responsibilities?

And if this becomes the reason this current role ends up vanishing again, it's going be a great pity, as far as I'm concerned.


No comments: