Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My badge and I

I'm working again. God, it feels good to say that. Granted, this is only for the next couple of months (because I'm almost done with the first - w00t!), and then it's back to the stress of studying and recruiting, but I'm working again. There is actually a tiny sum of money in my bank account right now that never has to be paid back to anyone. EVER.

However, I wouldn't be me if I didn't find something to whine about. So indulge me for a while.

Having worked in a tiny boutique/start-up/mom 'n' pop set-up for three years, getting used to all these processes in a huge global organization can be... bewildering. I mean, I may have rolled my eyes and torn my hair a gazillion times in those three years because people didn't seem to comprehend the point of any processes at all, but these many? Really?

For instance, there is the matter of this employee badge they gave me. Which hangs around my neck all the time. And I have to use it to open every door I go through. Which would be fine, except not being used to having mundane things such as employee badges, I keep forgetting what I'm supposed to do with it. So I do intelligent things like banging into glass doors because I forgot to wave the badge first, and then waving it over the elevator button and wondering why it's not lighting up. And then, when I went to my hotel's front desk to ask for a replacement key to my room (because y'know, I'd managed to demagnetize mine for the gazillionth time) and they asked me to show some ID, I spent five minutes rummaging through my handbag till the dude cleared his throat and pointed to my employee badge. Which was around my neck. Which has my name and photo on it. And is therefore perfectly acceptable as ID.

Sigh.

Now all this happened in the first two weeks of my internship. Since then, we seem to have got used to each other, and learned to work together.

And then for some reason, yesterday, it started acting like it has a mind of its own. It won't let me into the building. Sure, it'd turn the light green, but then the door wouldn't open. Security fixed it for me yesterday afternoon, but then this morning again, bam! same problem.

It's almost like the damn thing doesn't want me to work.

1 comment:

R said...

OH you're getting paid and all? nice internship!